DescriptionThe park features well-preserved traces in two main historical periods.
• Romanesque: there are numerous churches of the period that can be found throughout the country, in small towns and in isolated places.
• Medieval: the medieval past of the park has to do with the presence of the counts of Cerdanya, which used Saldes castles and Gósol (the two closest towns) to defend their territory.
The geology of the park Pedraforca Massis, is divided between the upper mantle and the lower mantle. The structure Pedraforca Massis geology, is the point that more interest is probably in the park, mainly due to its unique geological structure, forged over millions of years.
So when it comes to differentiating the two main points of the park and talk about the upper mantle or lower mantle (term that refers to the land layer located at 33km depth). The result of the collisions of tectonic plates makes between 75 and 69 million years, just to emerge from inside the Earth the territory currently configured Pedraforca Massis.
• Upper mantle: geological elements are concentrated at this point that give the appearance rocky currently can be seen in the park's highest point. The rock elements of the park date back 230 million years ago.
• Lower mantle: it is one of the two which has a more ancient origin. Formed by a sedentary rock type composed of whitish clay and calcite. Its color makes highlight especially on the relief.
In regard to trees, the most common examples we can find are red pine, black pine, common beech, fir and white oak. The largest concentration of these elements can be found in the so-called Gresolet Baga, it is the largest forest park in size and importance.
The main shrub species that can be found are the common boxwood, creeping juniper and bearberry. Unevenly distributed throughout the park.
Stresses the uniqueness of the plant species have adapted to difficult terrain and rocky, especially in the higher elevations of the park.
The vegetation of Massis Pedraforca is conditioned mainly by the altitude of the park in which we find ourselves. The main point that marks the difference we found between 1,500 and 1,700 meters high.
Below the 1,500 and 1,700 meters we find a clear mountain climate. The vegetation of this group is called point Montane, we will find mainly downy oak and other species such as hazel and hawthorn. In the darkest area beech stands.
Above the 1,500 and 1,700 meters in altitude found a subalpine mountain climate. With two major vegetation belts:
• Subalpine Floor (between 1,700 and 2,300 meters) up the green of the park, consisting of coniferous forests, where tall trees abound and lived as firs or pines.
• Alpine Apartment: (from 2,300 meters) rocky elements predominate park, and no presence of trees. We can only find the presence of some plant communities that have adapted to the environment and the ear of the bear or the king's crown.
In the park Pedraforca Massis we find a wide variety of animal species such as mammals, birds, amphibians, and some invertebrates. All are species adapted to a mountain environment.
The mammals of the park stands the Pyrenean chamois, animal especially gregarious and with a skin color changes slightly depending on the time of year when we are in summer is reddish skin much darker in winter.
The birds can be found mainly in deciduous forests, include the capercaillie (solitary habitats) and the black dick.
Among the reptiles and amphibians of the park, we find among others the frog and the common toad besides the salamander. They are part of this group some of the most dangerous species of the park as snakes or European viper.
If you seek additional information about the park you can direct the Center for Information and Interpretation Pedraforca massif.
Address: Pl Pedraforca, s / n - 08699 Saldes
Contact: [email protected]
Tlfn: 93 825 80 46
• Routes Masssis Pedraforca (Wikiloc)
• Routes Pedraforca Massis (Official)
• Routes Pedraforca Massis (Geological Routes)
• Park Activities
• Calendar of Activities
• Map (PDF)
For rural tourism in the Natural Park and visit Pedraforca Massis calmly and time, we suggest you visit our list of accommodations in the province of Catalonia where is the park, see our apartments in Barcelona.
You can also check the farmhouses related by proximity to the park.
Photos, news and rural news in Catalunya on Facebook | Twitter.
Somrurals | Your house in Catalonia