DescriptionThe Empordà Marshes cover an extensive coastline on the Bay of Roses, separated by the resort of Empuriabrava.
It is located in the Alt Empordà in Catalonia north, occupying an area of 4.731ha.
Declared of national interest natural area since 1983. The need to ensure the protection of the park and avoid over-exploitation of resources has been a constant, since its location in a tourist spot has never benefited.
Result of overfishing in 1976 there was a movement for protection where the risk remarked that were beginning to recent Aigüamolls Empordà.
Park of great importance, especially with regard to its water resources. The two rivers that meet here, the Muga and Fluvia, are largely shaping the look of the park.
• Muga: has an area of 65 square km in the northernmost in the Plana of Alt Llobregat and its watershed spans 854 square kilometers. In areas of the river near the sea clay materials are found, as we move away from the coast will find deep river soils, formed by materials transported.
• Fluvia: has an area of 55 square kilometers, in the southernmost part of the Plana of Alt Llobregat, its watershed is greater than the Muga with a total of 1,120 square kilometers, its mouth is located on the beach in Sant Pere Pescador. Its waters are more saline and are more mineralized than the Muga.
Highlights of the park habitats have greater proximity to the sea, where it can be difficult to identify the different start and end margins where habitats. Furthermore, these changes depending on the time of year where we are.
In the same park we found different nature reserves pursuing the protection and preservation of specific habitats.
• Integral Nature Reserve Lakes. North of the river Muga.
• Integral Natural Reserve of the cans. South of the river Muga. Zone gaps between the river Fluvia and Muga.
• Integral Natural Reserve III (Caramany Island). Island 2 miles from the mouth of the River Fluvia.
• Partial Nature Reserve Caramany Island. Located on the southern arm of Fluvia.
These different stocks comprise a total of 824ha of total 4.566ha.
The characteristic vegetation we find here is rare compared to other parks in Catalonia. It's largely determined by some of the area extreme environments (high winds, salty environment and long periods of drought are the most prominent) that have shaped vegetation staff, with some of the largest communities of plants that grow in sandy areas and saline areas.
We can find different types of vegetation depending on the area in which we are:
• Maritimedunar Zone: vegetation of beaches, dunes and marshes. In the sands found a fragmented vegetation. As we have said before, this is a vegetation adapted to the winds, dry and salty environment.
• Wetlands: vegetation particularly suited to humid environments. We find basically two environments, first chief hydrographic network and the area corresponding to the lakes.
• The planted: contains the most diverse and rich vegetation. Species adapted to sandy soil.
• Irrigated crops: related to human action. The site allows the cultivation of sunflower, corn, apples and pears.
• The rice fields: the cultivation of paddy is divided into three zones: the Gallinera, The Pastells and Riumors. In its surroundings we find a rich moist vegetation that grows rice paddies where they leave a gap for this vegetation.
Different park protection policies have played a key role in the preservation and protection of animal species. Thanks to these policies, the park has seen their communities especially invertebrates and birds have experienced tremendous growth.
• Invertebrates: crustaceans, butterflies and dragonfly mainly cells.
• Fish: In the course of rivers Fluvia and Muga are fish such as carp and eels.
• Reptiles: have a strong presence, with many different species from lizards to newts.
• Mammals: of all the species on which policies have been applied more specific repopulation. The otter and the hill.
• Birds: is what is more important given their number and variety, there are a total of 328 recorded species. They can be found from communities that reach 2,000 copies in smaller groups up to 250. Among the most recognized species found storks, the bittern or flocks of flamingos.
Parque Natural de Els Aiguamolls de l'Empordà
Ctra. De Sant Pere Pescador km 13,6
Tel. 972 45 42 22
Fax 972 45 44 74
· Route Aiguamolls Emporda (Oficial)
· Route Aiguamolls Empordà (Wikiloc)
· Guided Tours Booking
· Calendar of Activities
· Park Equipment
For peace of mind and time to visit with the Natural Park of the marshes of Empordà, we recommend you visit our list of houses in the province of Catalonia where the park, see our cottages in Girona.
You can also check the farmhouses related by proximity to the park.
Images, news and rural news in Catalonia on Facebook | Twitter.
Somrurals | Your house in Catalonia
Casas rurales que nos gustan cerca de Aiguamolls de l´EmpordàVer todas
Join our newsletter
Destination, cottages, ideas, promotions. 1 time per month and free!